Financial Aid Programs

Federal Pell Grant

Federal Pell Grants are funds that do not need to be repaid. They are awarded to undergraduate students who demonstrate financial need. Amounts depend on the level of need and number of credits for which a student is registered. Students with a prior bachelor’s degree are not eligible. Click here for more info.

Federal Supplemental Education Opportunity Grant (FSEOG)

Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grants (FSEOG) are awarded to undergraduate students with exceptional financial need. Priority is given to students who are eligible to receive the Federal Pell Grant. FSEOG does not have to be repaid. Award amounts depend on the level of need and availability of funds. Must enroll for 6 or more credits each semester.

Federal Work-Study Program (FWS)

This program provides part-time jobs for undergraduate and graduate students with financial need, allowing them to earn money to help pay educational expenses. Eligibility is determined by the completion of the FAFSA, enrollment status, and Satisfactory Academic Progress. Qualified students who accept FWS are contacted during the first week of the semester regarding the hiring process. There are a number of positions available on campus and within the community that allow the student to maintain a convenient work schedule. If a student works off campus, their employer will usually be a private nonprofit organization or a public agency, and the work performed must be in the public interest. Pay rates range from $12-$14 per hour (not to exceed 20 hours per week). FWS awards are NOT applied to a student's bill, rather students earn these funds from biweekly paychecks reflecting their hours worked.

Federal Direct Stafford Loan

Direct Stafford Loans are low-interest loans held in the student's name. Undergraduate and graduate students who attend at least half-time (6 credits or more) may qualify to borrow. Direct Stafford Loans include Subsidized Loans (loans for students with financial need) and Unsubsidized Loans (loans for students without financial need). Interest rates and annual aggregate loan limits are set by the federal government. Read more.

Federal Direct Parent PLUS Loan

Parent PLUS Loans are loans offered to parents of dependent undergraduate students to help pay their child's education expenses. Loan eligibility is not based on need; however, the parent who is the borrower must maintain a good credit rating. The maximum PLUS loan amount is the cost of attendance minus any other financial assistance awarded to the child. Read more.

Federal Direct Graduate PLUS Loan

Graduate PLUS Loans are loans offered to graduate and professional students to help pay their education expenses. Loan eligibility is not based on need; however, the student who is the borrower must maintain a good credit rating. The maximum PLUS loan amount is the cost of attendance minus any other financial assistance received. Read More.

Tuition Assistance Program (TAP)

Undergraduate residents of New York State who attend full-time (12 credits or more) and demonstrate financial need may be eligible for this state-funded grant. Eligible students will be directed to the TAP application after completing the FAFSA online. More information on TAP can be found here or by contacting NYSID's TAP certifying officer at 212-472-1500 x207.

Aid For Part-Time Study (APTS)

Undergraduate residents of New York State who attend less than full-time (3–11 credits) and demonstrate need may be eligible for this state- funded grant. The Financial Aid Office will email APTS applications to eligible students shortly after the start of each semester.

Veterans Aid

NYSID has always been proud to welcome U.S. Veterans as students and continues to work with them on getting the most out of the GI Bill. GI Bill information can be found on the website of the U.S. Department of Veteran Affairs or contact NYSID’s Veterans Affairs liaison at 212-472-1500 x207.

Bundy Aid

NYSID is pleased to receive funding through the Direct Institutional or "Bundy Aid" program, appropriated annually by the New York State Legislature.  

Other State Grants

Several other states sponsor awards that can be used to attend a college outside a home state, visit FinAid and click on the link for U.S. State Government aid to find your state agency.

Undergraduate Scholarships

All NYSID undergraduate scholarships are awarded based on merit. To be considered, applicants must have all admission materials submitted by the recommended deadline (February 1 for the fall, October 1 for the spring), must have a cumulative GPA of a 3.0 or above, and must study full-time (12 or more credits per semester). All qualified applicants will be considered for scholarship review. No additional materials are needed.

Graduate Assistant Opportunities

NYSID offers a limited number of graduate assistantships based on academic merit.  The graduate assistant earns a stipend up to the amount of the award by agreeing to carry out work assignments in an academic or administrative department of the college for up to 12 hours per week. These assistantship are renewable subsequent years providing the student maintains a cumulative 3.0 GPA and obtains a positive review from their assistantship supervisor.

Qualifying MFA applicants will be contacted in the spring with information regarding what further materials are needed to be considered for assistantships.