Fourth Annual Green Design Awards recognizes organizations and individuals at Forefront of Sustainable Interior Environments
Gensler, Lutron Electronics, The Related Companies, and NYC Green Codes Task Force to be Honored
New York, NY– March 28, 2012 – The New York School of Interior Design (NYSID) will present the annual Green Design Awards to acknowledge and celebrate individuals and businesses in the NYC area for their efforts in protecting the natural environment and supporting sustainability and green design. The ceremony and corresponding lecture will take place on Wednesday, April 25, 5:30 – 7:30pm at the New York School of Interior Design, 170 East 70th Street, NYC.
The Sally Henderson Memorial Lecture on Green Design will be held in conjunction with the Green Design Awards. Dr. Jack Elliott, professor of ecological design at Cornell University, will speak on EcoFeminism, Design, and the Future of the Planet We Live On. The lecture will focus on the evolution and impact of EcoFeminism--a fusion of feminist and ecological thinking that was founded on the belief that the social constructs that lead to the domination and oppression of women also lead to the abuse of the natural environment.
2012 Green Design Award recipients are:
- Design of Interior Spaces: Gensler
- –Design of Interior Spaces recognizes the substantial contribution of interior designers, architects, lighting designers, engineer, and other professionals.
- Interior Products: Lutron Electronics, Inc.: Founders, Mr. & Mrs. Joel Spira
- –Interior Products recognizes significant contributions in the area of interior use such as furniture, floor coverings, window treatments, fixtures, and the vast array of accessories and other decorative objects that enhance the interior environment.
- Development/Real Estate: The Related Companies
- –Development recognizes extraordinary green builders, construction managers, and facilities managers/operators.
- Advocacy/Community: NYC Green Codes Task Force
- –Advocacy recognizes leading grass roots organizations, non-profits, private foundations, individual advocates/educators, and other community entities promoting and practicing sustainability.
This year’s recipients were selected by the 2012 Green Design Nominating Committee, including Lance Amato, President IIDA NY; Joe Aliotta, President AIA NY; Pamela Durante, President ASID NY Metro; and Ozgem Ornektekin, Director of Sustainability, NYC Department of Education. The Committee was co-chaired by Dr. Ellen Fisher, NYSID’s Vice President for Academic Affairs & Dean; and Ethan Lu, Director of Graduate Studies and the Area Coordinator for the MPS in Sustainable Interior Environments program at NYSID.
Past honorees have included design firms Perkins+Will and Cook + Fox as well as industry partners such as InterfaceFLOR, Designtex and Icestone.
Awards Ceremony: 5:30 – 6:00pm
Lecture: 6:00 – 7:00pm
Cocktail Reception to follow
New York School of Interior Design
170 East 70th Street, New York City
Admission is free. RSVP to email@example.com or call 212-472-1500, ext 405.
Founded in 1916, the New York School of Interior Design (NYSID) is New York’s only private, not-for-profit college devoted exclusively to interior design education and related disciplines. NYSID’s guiding principle is that the interior environment is a fundamental element of human welfare and the college is committed to actively improving the quality of life for all segments of humanity. This ideal is put into practice by a dedicated faculty of well-known designers, architects, art historians, and authorities in the field who guide more than 900 full-and part-time students.
NYSID offers certificate, undergraduate, and graduate programs in the field of interior design. The college is an accredited institutional member of the National Association of Schools of Art and Design (NASAD); is a Candidate for Accreditation by the Middle States Commission on Higher Education; and NYSID’s BFA is accredited by the Council for Interior Design Accreditation (CIDA).