Student Life at NYSID
A Diverse Community of Creatives
NYSID students come from diverse backgrounds. They hail from more than 30 countries and 20 U.S. states. This diversity brings a broad array of styles, cultures, and perspectives to NYSID student life. What they share is a passion for interior design and the drive to make a career out of it.
Student activities at NYSID revolve around events for socializing and having fun, exploring New York City, and enhancing life as a professional designer.
Personal/Professional Development Programs:
- The “Lunch & Learn” series brings prominent designers, architects, and experts in the field to the campus for intimate discussions with our students. Recent guests include interior designers Alexa Hampton and Mario Buatta.
- The “Supporting the Whole Designer” series teaches the life skills designers need to thrive, from time-management to public speaking. Penni Morganstein, PhD, the school’s staff psychologist, curates this series.
- Social Events: The fall semester begins with a kick-off party and continues with other seasonal themed events throughout the year, such as Broadway shows, ice skating in Central Park, NYC landmarks tours, and boat cruises around Manhattan.
Health & Wellness:
- The Counseling Center: NYSID’s New York State licensed psychologist, Penni Morganstein, Psy.D., provides free counseling and support services to students.
- The Health & Wellness Festival: a week of offerings designed to stimulate visual creativity and relieve stress. Take yoga, get a massage, visit with dogs from New York Therapy Animals, and attend lectures on topics from nutrition to sleep.